Saturday, December 16, 2006

Getting There!

My baby is learning to fall asleep on his own and get himself back to sleep when he wakes up! It's wonderful! Everyone told me that when I finally made the decision to let him "cry it out," I would regret not doing it even sooner, and they were right.

Actually, I think now is actually just about the perfect time to train Baby Boy to sleep well. He knows how to get his fingers in his mouth when he wants them, and he can reach for and hold onto his lovey, so he is able to soothe himself better than he could have a month ago, when he couldn't control his hand movements as much.

1 comment:

prayzgod said...

Congrats! :-) It's been a little while since I've stopped by.

I like how you chronicled your experiment, that is helpful for other new mothers to read. ;-)

I'm starting to "pull the plug" on my little one as well. I've been getting her to 'sleepy', but not sleeping, then I put her in her crib, with no pacifer. She will sing softly for a few seconds, then she's out like a light.

As for feedings, just as long as your little guy isn't losing weight, and he's nice and chubby, then 4 or 5 feedings a day is fine. My little girl is huge (all my babies were at this age), so she has milk when I get up in the morning (I wake her,- usually), then I give her rice cereal and milk at 11am, more at 3pm, and more at 7pm. Then, she has a bottle of milk with rice mixed in at 10:00pm, then I put her down to bed between 10:30 and 11:00pm.

NOTE: Of coure I don't give her cow's milk. :-) She either gets mommy milk, or Alementum Similac formula. (However I'm considering homemade Goat's Milk formula for certain occasions. I'm studying the recipe in Nourishing Traditions for that.)