Monday, July 20, 2009

Weekend Getaway

This past weekend, T and I left the kiddos with my parents and went camping! We took the kids camping with us last fall, but T and I had never camped by ourselves before.

We took off Friday afternoon and got to the campground around 4. We set up camp and T managed to make a fire, even with partly-wet wood. We roasted hot dogs over the fire and then drove to the beach, which was only a few minutes away by car. We walked along the beach and then sat and talked for a while. We headed back to the campsite and T went to sleep. I stayed up reading until midnight, because I'm overly noise-sensitive, and there were people talking and cars driving by until then. At that point, I attempted to sleep, but didn't end up dropping off until 2 AM...and then we were awakened around 6 AM by other campers getting up to start their day. The lack of sleep that night was the one part I didn't enjoy about our weekend away, but the rest of the time made up for it.

On Saturday, we browsed at a nearby outlet mall and bought a pair of work pants for T and a set of C.S. Lewis's letters to his friends and family that T is supposed to forget about, and I will give to him for his birthday in September. Then we had a quick lunch and went to see the movie "Up." I really liked it, but I was glad I brought a tissue...I bawled most of the way through. Then we hiked down to a different beach (where we sat and ate Subway sandwiches the night we got engaged 5 years ago...that was before I knew T had anything up his sleeve...actually, I didn't really suspect anything until T was practically pulling out the ring, but that's another story for another day). We each found a walking stick on the beach and used it to hike back up to our car. Then we drove a short distance to a state park and hiked out to the "rock" overlooking the ocean where T asked me to marry him. We didn't take any pictures this trip, but here's a picture of us hiking out to the rock the night we got engaged (apparently I had abandoned my walking stick at that point in favor of holding T's hand).


Then we drove back to a little side road where we parked and again hiked down to the beach and built a bonfire and sat and talked until way after dark. After that, we hiked back up to our car again and tossed our walking sticks in the bushes...and found the same sticks we had used the night we got engaged, still lying there in the bushes. I guess we're starting a collection. :-)

That night, we were so exhausted from miles of hiking that we slept much better and much longer. On Sunday, we packed up our things, went swimming in the campground's indoor pool, ate lunch at a seafood restaurant, and then headed home.

D.L.F. and Cupcake had a great time with Grandma and Grandpa (thanks, Mom and Dad!). They read lots of books and went to a park and a "sprayground." Here are a few pictures of their time together.




Isn't it cute how the kids are both snuggling their buddies in that last picture?


Anonymous said...

What a beautiful picture of the two of you walking up the bank! Who took it?
Sounds like a perfect time. :-)

Jennifer Young

Tori said...

Sounds like lots of fun, Melissa! So glad you were able to get away together. Also, I love N's face in the water park pictures - total delight.

Melissa said...

Jennifer--our friend Adrian, whom T has known for a long time, assisted in setting things up (music, sparkling cider, a red rose, etc.) out on the rock and also took pictures. I never saw him, so I had no clue he was there that night until T told me later.

Tori--thanks, it was a lot of fun, and I came back feeling refreshed!