Sunday, January 20, 2008

Our Anniversary Get-Away

Hubby’s and my anniversary get-away was very special. My parents came over mid-afternoon on Friday. Hubby and I left one-year-old in their care and went to see National Treasure (the second one) in a theater. Then we went to a casual restaurant for dinner and checked into our hotel. We were both pretty tired, so we just talked for a while and then went to bed. I couldn’t stop thinking and talking about one-year-old. I hoped he wasn’t missing us too much or worrying that we would never come back.

Saturday morning, Hubby and I both had delicious omelets and pancakes for breakfast at the hotel restaurant. After that, we stopped back home to visit with my parents a little and see how one-year-old was doing. He was doing great with his grandparents! They said he had been very good and content and hadn’t cried at all the whole time we were gone. That set my heart at ease, and I was able to relax and enjoy the rest of our trip even more. We were so full from breakfast that we didn’t want lunch, but we did a couple of errands and then went to a coffee shop and got mochas. We had to an hour to kill until we could check in to the hotel (we stayed at a different hotel each night), so we browsed a Christian discount bookstore. Hubby bought a CD of some Rich Mullins songs. We drove downtown to the hotel and checked in, then hung out in the room and talked and read until dinner time. We had dinner at the hotel restaurant. It was one of those fancy-schmancy restaurants where you order your entrée, but it doesn’t come with anything, so if you want a salad or anything else, you have to order that separately. We wouldn’t have ended up at such a restaurant if my grandmother had not generously given us some money for a nice dinner. And, oh, it was good. Hubby had an amazingly-flavored pork chop, and I had bacon-encrusted salmon. We shared a Caesar salad. The menu boasted of the restaurant’s French cuisine made by a master chef, and we were not disappointed. My only qualm was that the delicious flavors were so unfamiliar I could not place them! I’m sure the meats were cooked in various wines and sauces I know nothing about.

After dinner, we went back to our room for a while, and then it was time to go to the symphony! It was the first time Hubby and I had ever been to a symphony together. We enjoyed it very much. The evening was divided into two parts: the first half was the work of a modern Scottish composer, and the second half was a musical interpretation of one of Shakespeare’s plays.

Sunday morning, we ordered room service and had breakfast in bed while we watched an old Western movie on TV. Then we packed up and came home!

I felt extremely blessed this weekend to be married to my husband. I appreciate the time and thoughtfulness he put into planning everything for us and keeping everything a surprise from me (I like good surprises!). It was marvelous to have time alone with him, but it was also great to get home to one-year-old. I missed him so much! I love the comfort and familiarity of home and the peacefulness of having my whole family together.

No comments: